SBS World Movies Weekly Highlights: 18 - 24 May. His critically acclaimed memoir Good Muslim Boy was the Winner of the NSW Premier's Literary Award and Highly Commended at the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards, and has also been adapted for the stage by Malthouse Theatre Company and ... Robert Rabiah, Frank Lotito to champion greater diversity in TV comedy, Umbrella Entertainment spruiks ‘Relic, ‘ ‘2067’ and ‘The Furnace’, David Wenham, Ahmed Malek to Star in West Australia-set ‘The Furnace’, The ShowBiz Podcast with Robert Rabiah and Joey Coley-Sowry, Dating Tips: Muslims Vs the Western World, Job Hunting Tips for Refugees: A Blonde's Guide, Lucky Miles: Live Recording at the Sydney Film Festival Screening, The Best TV Shows About Being in Your 30s. The play is a taut, one-act 85 minutes, leaving the audience on the edge of their seats until the end. Choose an adventure below and discover your next favorite movie or TV show. The machinations he had to go through when his father died unexpectedly while they were back in Iran made our experience when Mum died seamless and trouble free. Like young Amor, he became very self-conscious in public. Osamah was born in Qom and the family came to Australia in 1995 when Osamah was twelve. SBS Movies managing editor Fiona Williams offers her pick of the movies coming to SBS On Demand this month. “We did lose a fair few of the obstacles of getting the body home.”. Say kia ora to the New Zealand movie collection at SBS On Demand Our conversation, which ranges across many of the problems facing the Muslim community in Australia today, is serious without becoming sombre. I go to the shower and shampoo and condition my hair as a Muslim.” ’. ", The crowdpleasing hit romantic comedy Ali's Wedding airs Fri 14 June, 8:35PM on SBS, Dinner and a Movie: 'Hunt for the Wilderpeople' paired with smoked eel. Sami keeps a diary, which acts as a prompt and guide to some of his writing. ", Osamah Sami in 'Ali's Wedding' Source: Nixco. Nicole Nabout rounds out the three-person cast, playing a range of roles from a homeless person to Sami’s mother. Osamah Sami, Actor: Ali's Wedding. His critically acclaimed book Good Muslim Boy, was the winner of the 2016 NSW Premier's Literary Award. Match a meal from SBS Food with a movie at SBS On Demand, for the perfect night in. "So this takes the everyday experiences of us as migrants, as people from the Middle East, or as Muslims, and we're treated like just another feel-good rom-com. It’s time to reconsider ‘The Darjeeling Limited’ “It’s draining. He is a passionate supporter of the Essendon Bombers. Good Muslim Boy by Osamah Sami A memoir about a young boy who is born in Iraq, but living in Iran, and then migrates to Australia with his family. Last night I was a bit of a wreck,” says Sami, of the play’s opening night at the Malthouse in Melbourne. His memoir Good Muslim Boy will be published later this year and he’s co-written a screenplay soon to be directed by Wayne Blair, director of The Sapphires. ‘It was a crazy two way thing. This is the black sheep of Wes Anderson’s films, but it’s a scrappy little fighter deserving of your affection. He speaks Arabic, Farsi and English, which he says gives versatility to his acting career: ‘Yes, I can play both an Iranian asylum seeker and an Arab terrorist.’ He starred opposite Claudia Karvan in the SBS drama Saved and in Belvoir’s production of Baghdad Wedding. He met his Kurdish wife, Osamah’s mother, in an Iranian refugee camp. ‘I named the whole team for them – James Hird, Matthew Lloyd – but they just thought I was using it as a front to talk about my terrorist activities.’, ‘Some of the guys didn’t recover – still haven’t recovered,’ he says. But certain things were left out or compressed for the sake of brevity. So when I read this script, yeah, it was telling me about something I’d lived through.’. [11] He also played the lead role in the award-winning Dee McLachlan comedy feature, 10 Terrorists! So far the Melbourne-based writer and comedian has explored his early years in a film, Ali’s Wedding, a memoir, Good Muslim Boy, and its synonymous play, which picks up where Ali’s Wedding left off. Now a father himself to two girls, Sami says he tries to ensure his daughters feel free to be whoever they want to be. He has been cast in several leading roles; one opposite Claudia Karvan in the telemovie Saved, directed by Tony Ayres. SBS acknowledges the traditional owners of country throughout Australia. The play he’s about to rehearse, however, has a different tone. Just remember to breathe. View agent, publicist, legal and company contact details on IMDbPro. Osamah Sami is an award-winning actor, writer, poet, and comedian, born in war-torn Iran to Iraqi parents. And I’m half-Kurdish as well.’. The Australian me? His theatre appearances include Belvoir St. Theatre Company, Melbourne Theatre Company, Queensland Theatre Company, Malthouse Theatre Company, and La Mama. Ali's Wedding is dedicated to his father, without whom, Sami says, the film would never have been made. Osamah Sami has taken Socrates’ dictum to heart: the unexamined life is not worth living. Say kia ora to the New Zealand movie collection at SBS On Demand. And I’m sure some of it was in my mind. They said, “You are far too organised to be a theatre company.”’ Osamah laughs now at the absurdity of it all, but at the time it was scary. He also writes a poetry blog, with four main categories of: Love, Social Justice, For Dad and War. While there he fell in love with a legitimate medical student, which was particularly problematic as his family was in the process of organising his arranged marriage. An intervention is needed and his father, played by Rodney Afif, books them both a holiday to their homeland of Iran. "There's more than half a million of us in this country, and yet the narrative that we're exposed to about my community is one that the majority of the majority of us don't experience, but we're affected by those negative portrayals. Asked why he is able to find the funny side of the experience, Osamah speaks fondly and at length about his late father, who had endured so much. “I was bawling my eyes out.”. When it comes to movies, there's something for everybody on SBS, SBS VICELAND, NITV and SBS On Demand. In the play, Sami’s marriage – the one that ended Ali’s Wedding on a high – is in trouble. MTC Education’s I Call My Brothers is playing at Southbank Theatre, the Lawler from 16 April to 1 May. "And yesterday we had a community screening in Parramatta and this 63-year-old father-of-six came up to me and he said 'This is my story', and he explained why he hadn't seen his mother because of Saddam Hussein. Due to current workplace restrictions, the MTC Box Office phone line is closed until further notice. [8], Sami was born in Iran to Iraqi parents and was cast in several roles on stage in his childhood hometown of Qom. ‘I don’t wake up every day going, “I’m waking up as a Muslim. The script, a collaboration between director Janice Muller and Sami, took a year to write, as the pair went back and forth with edits. ‘And it wasn’t just that I thought everybody was watching me,’ he says. Osamah Sami (born 10 March 1983 in Qom, Iran) is an Australian stage and screen actor, writer, spoken word artist, and stand-up comedian of Iraqi origin. [4] His script also received an Australian Writers Guild Award in the Best Original Film category. New Zealand is a leading force in diverse and quality cinema. The play was written by his father. Melbourne Theatre Company acknowledges the Yalukit Willam Peoples of the Boon Wurrung, the First Peoples of Country on which Southbank Theatre and MTC HQ stand. But despite “Muslim” being part of the play’s title, the story doesn’t deal so much with religion as the relationship between fathers and sons. "Without his guidance and wisdom and friendship I wouldn't be able to put one frame of that movie on the screen, and I wouldn't be one per cent of the man I am today, really.". Sami says the recognition from the audience "means the world and more" to him, and he believes it shows a desire for more films like it. In 2005 he was part of a theatre group that was prevented from entering the United States of America to perform the play.[9][10]. Sometimes almost unbelievably so. He spends his nights bumping and grinding at Revolver night club, doing lines of coke and avoiding the myriad crises unfolding in his life. Looking for something to watch? Yes, it might be bizarre and some of the events are, on reflection, extraordinary, but at the time they were happening they were just life.". At the end of [the day], it's an Australian story.". “It feels like [my life] but it’s its own story as well,” Sami says, of adapting his own story for and with others. Osamah Sami stars in the largely autobiographical film 'Ali's Wedding'. “In one interview I got asked, ‘How do you feel as a Muslim?’ and I was like, ‘Well I don’t really think about it.’ I don’t wake up everyday going, ‘I’m waking up as a Muslim. He played as a goalkeeper with Reservoir Strikers for six seasons. The Iraqi me? In front of an audience. It will be worth your while | Osamah Sami. [1] It was also Highly Commended at the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards that same year. Match a meal from SBS Food with a movie at SBS On Demand, for the perfect night in. What unfolds next is a Kafkaesque nightmare of dealing with Iranian red tape of death certificates, logistics and burial law, as well as a road trip across Iran – to get to the Australian embassy – involving transport mishaps in the vein of Trains, Planes and Automobiles. He attended classes and tutorials, without being detected by his parents or the faculty. Osamah was born in Qom and the family came to Australia in 1995 when Osamah was twelve. It was also me watching them watching me. The SBS On Demand thriller collection is here to get your heart racing and adrenaline pumping.

Diy Leaves Craft, Back Friendly Cardio Exercises, Memory Games Speech Therapy Adults, Singapore International School Hanoi, Horsetail Plant Care, Fat Brain Toys Minispinny, Gla 2020 Exterior, Dr Loosen Blue Slate Riesling Kabinett, Matilda Chocolate Box Scene,